Residents of Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties received free legal advice thanks to local volunteer attorneys from the Massachusetts Bar Association at the semiannual Western Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer call-in program on October 18, hosted by Western New England University School of Law.
The legal advice was provided at no charge as a public service of the MBA. Typical calls featured legal questions on a diverse range of topics, including family law, elder law, consumer law, real estate law, employment law and tax law.
Earlier in the day, Dial-A-Lawyer volunteer Diana Velez Harris promoted the program as a guest on the MassAppeal TV show in Springfield (WWLP 22News).
“It’s a great first step for anyone that is having an issue because these issues tend to be overwhelming, and they can be all-encompassing,” noted Velez Harris on the show. “It’s a great resource for anybody who doesn’t know where to begin.”
Started in 1994, the MBA’s Western Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer program is in its 23rd year.
The program is co-sponsored by Western New England University School of Law, The Republican, El Pueblo Latino, the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys and the Hispanic National Bar Association.
The MBA thanks the following members for donating their time and expertise to this important public service effort:
- Kristi A. Bodin, Kristi A. Bodin, Esq., Amherst
- Hon. Henry J. Boroff (ret.), Western New England University School of Law
- Corey M. Carvalho, University of Massachusetts Legal Services, Amherst
- Kevin Chrisanthopoulos, Robinson & Donovan PC, Springfield
- Beth D. Cohen, Western New England University School of Law, Springfield
- Michele J. Feinstein, Shatz, Schwartz and Fentin PC, Springfield
- Kelly A. Koch, Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas LLP, Springfield
- Stephen R. Manning, Stephen R. Manning, PC, East Longmeadow
- Amy J. Megliola, Siddall & Siddall PC, Springfield
- Jeffrey S. Morneau, Connor, Morneau & Olin, LLP, Springfield
- David W. Ostrander, Ostrander Law Office, Northampton
- Edward M. Pikula, City of Springfield, Law Department, Springfield
- Daniel M. Rothschild, Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas, LLP, Amherst
- Barry M. Ryan, Doherty, Wallace, Pillsbury & Murphy PC, Springfield
- Stephen A. Smith, Law Office of Stephen A. Smith, Millis
- Diana S. Velez Harris, Johnson, Sclafani & Moriarty, West Springfield
- James B. Winston, Winston Law Offices, Northampton
- Gregory A. Wolf, Law Office of Gregory A. Wolf, Esq., Pittsfield