Free legal guidance was provided to residents of Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties by local volunteer attorneys from the Massachusetts Bar Association at the semiannual Western Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer call-in program on May 24, hosted at Western New England University School of Law.
Calls featured legal questions on a diverse range of topics, including family law, elder law, consumer law, real estate law, employment law and tax law. The legal advice was provided at no charge as a public service of the MBA.
"Although my interactions are brief with the callers as compared to clients, it is amazing how much help we can provide people in just a few minutes," said Dial-A-Lawyer volunteer Erin J. Meehan. "Even if we are unable to resolve the entire issue or answer every question, we at least are able to steer the callers in the right direction and provide them with some much needed relief."
Earlier in the day, Dial-A-Lawyer volunteer David W. Ostrander promoted the program as a guest on the MassAppeal TV show in Springfield (WWLP 22News).
"If we can't find somebody right then and there to answer the question, we refer them to a resource that we hope will be able to provide the information that they need," noted Ostrander on the show.
Launched in 1994, the MBA's Western Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer program is in its 23rd year.
The program is co-sponsored by Western New England University School of Law, The Republican, El Pueblo Latino, the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys and the Hispanic National Bar Association.
The MBA thanks the following members for donating their time and expertise to this important public service effort:
- Beth D. Cohen, Western New England University School of Law, Springfield
- Mark David Cress, Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas, LLP, Amherst
- Michele J Feinstein, Shatz, Schwartz and Fentin PC, Springfield
- David M. Hirschhorn, David Meir Hirschhorn, Attorney at Law, Springfield
- Kimberly Klimczuk, Skoler, Abbott & Presser, P.C., Springfield
- Carol C. Klyman, Shatz, Schwartz and Fentin PC, Springfield
- Erin J. Meehan, Doherty, Wallace, Pillsbury & Murphy PC, Springfield
- Thomas D. O'Connor Jr., Thomas D. O'Connor, Jr., Attorney at Law, Springfield
- David W. Ostrander, Ostrander Law Office, Northampton
- Edward M. Pikula, City of Springfield, Law Department, Springfield
- Sanjiv Reejhsinghani, Law Office of Sanjiv Reejhsinghani, Longmeadow
- Daniel M. Rothschild, Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas, LLP, Amherst
- Barry M. Ryan, Doherty, Wallace, Pillsbury & Murphy PC, Springfield
- Jeffrey John Trapani, Robinson & Donovan PC, Springfield
- Dennis E. Tully, Atty. Dennis E. Tully, East Longmeadow
- Diana S. Velez Harris, Johnson, Sclafani & Moriarty, West Springfield
- Gregory A. Wolf, Law Office of Gregory A. Wolf, Esq., Pittsfield