The Massachusetts Bar Association hosted a graduation ceremony for its 2016-17 Leadership Academy Class on June 20 at the John Adams Courthouse.
The 21 graduating Leadership Academy fellows were selected to participate in the inaugural year of the program because of their demonstrated commitment to community and bar involvement. Throughout the year, the fellows gained insights from successful leaders in the legal and business communities, judges, and elected officials through programming focused on how to become compassionate, open-minded and thoughtful leaders. They also participated in training sessions on public speaking and how to conduct meetings.
"You've all been chosen, and there are important things to do," said Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants. "There is no better time to be a young leader of the bar … now we need you more than ever."
The 2016-17 graduating fellows included:
- Jesse Adams, Law Office of Jesse Adams (Northampton)
- Adrian Angus, Committee for Public Counsel Services (Worcester)
- Saraa Basaria, Gordon & Rees LLP (Boston)
- Ida R. Candreva, Law Office of R. Carabetta (Revere)
- Melissa Conner, Conner Law Offices (Charlestown)
- Emmanuel Dockter, Baum & Dockter (Quincy)
- Talia Gee, Sullivan, Hayes & Quinn (Springfield)
- Katherine Guarino, Locke Lord LLP (Boston)
- Sara Horatius, Roxbury Community College (Boston)
- Jane A. Horne, Peabody & Arnold LLP (Boston)
- Sakib Khan, Kenney & Sams PC (Southborough)
- Brigid Mitchell, Law Office of Denise Squillante (Fall River)
- Marc Moccia, Kazarosian Costello LLP (Haverhill)
- Michael Molloy, Marcotte Law Firm (Lowell)
- Michael Rossi, Conn Kavanaugh Rosenthal Peisch Ford LLP (Boston)
- Victoria Santoro, Meehan, Boyle, Black & Bogdanow PC (Boston)
- Lauren N. Schaal, Community Legal Aid (Worcester) and the 2016 Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. Scholarship Winner
- Samuel A. Segal, Law Offices of Samuel A. Segal (Boston)
- Courtney Shea Winters, Peabody & Arnold LLP (Boston)
- Meghan Slack, Law Office of Meghan Slack (Arlington)
- Damian Turco, Turco Legal PC (Newburyport)
The MBA's Leadership Academy, co-chaired by MBA President Jeffrey N. Catalano and MBA Treasurer Christopher A. Kenney, is ideally suited for individuals who want to give back to society in important ways, such as becoming members of a board of directors or creating new pro bono programs.