In October, the Massachusetts Bar Association is proud to join attorneys around the country in support of Pro Bono Month -- a collective effort to promote volunteerism to meet the legal needs of the most vulnerable people in our society. Pro bono service is an important part of being an attorney in Massachusetts, and we encourage you to volunteer for one of our pro bono initiatives.
In honor of Pro Bono Month, this month in eJournal we will be highlighting several volunteer opportunities available at the MBA. This week, we look at the MBA’s monthly Dial-A-Lawyer program, which began in March 1991 as a service where volunteer attorneys typically answered callers’ legal questions from a phone bank at the MBA’s Boston office. Now operating remotely, Dial-A-Lawyer attorney volunteers only need a quiet place, an internet connection (Wi-Fi) and a laptop to participate. No phones are needed.
Interested in volunteering?
The MBA is seeking attorney volunteers for its monthly Dial-A-Lawyer programs this year, which are held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., on the first Wednesday of each month. The next opportunity is Wednesday, Nov. 2. If you are interested in participating from your home or office in November or in future months, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
. The MBA will provide you with a link, username, password, detailed instructions and updated resources before each monthly program. Using the information provided, you will be able to easily log on to the internet from your computer and take calls immediately from the public.
October Dial-A-Lawyer assists 147 callers
The MBA held its most recent Dial-A-Lawyer program on Wednesday, Oct. 5. Fourteen attorneys volunteered to answer questions on a night when Dial-A-Lawyer received 147 calls.
Thank you to the following members who donated their time and expertise to the Oct. 5 Dial-A-Lawyer program:
- Josephine C. Babiarz, Attorney at Law, Arlington
- Nicole J. Belbin, Attorney at Law, Springfield
- Christopher A. Cornetta, Cornetta Babine LLC, Danvers
- Philip M. Howe, Attorney at Law, Boston
- Paul J. Klehm, Krasnoo, Klehm & Falkner LLP, Andover
- (Sam) Shlomo Lambroza, Law Office of Sam Lambroza, Boston
- John G. Mateus, Law Offices of John G. Mateus, Woburn
- Peter D. McDermott, Law Office of Peter D. McDermott, Hopkinton
- Andrea Mobilia, Attorney at Law, Middleton
- Frank R. Mulé, Bass, Doherty & Finks PC, Boston
- Jon Michael Probstein, Law Offices of Jon Michael Probstein, Levittown, NY
- Marlee Stever, Estate & Elder Law Advisory PLLC, Sharon
- Janelle A. Tanenbaum, Seder & Chandler LLP, Worcester
- Christopher J. Yagoobian, Adler Pollock & Sheehan PC, Providence, RI