The Massachusetts Bar Association held its most recent Dial-A-Lawyer program on Wednesday, May 4. The event was sponsored by the Lawyer Referral Service Committee and the Solo/Small Firm Law Practice Management Section Council, whose members answered calls along with other MBA volunteers. Twenty-two attorneys volunteered to answer questions on a night when Dial-A-Lawyer received 178 calls.
The MBA has sponsored a monthly Dial-A-Lawyer program as a public service since March 1991, with volunteer attorneys typically answering callers’ legal questions from a phone bank at the MBA’s Boston office. Through the implementation of new technology in May 2020, the MBA has been able to continue offering this public service virtually during the pandemic at a time when many residents have critical legal questions related to their health, homes and employment. Moving to a remote-only platform has also made it easier for attorney volunteers to take part since they no longer have to travel to the MBA’s office and can take calls anonymously right from their own home or office computers.
Thank you to the following members who donated their time and expertise to the May 5 Dial-A-Lawyer program:
- Ryan P. Avery, Mirageas & Avery, Milford
- Madison F. Bader, Lawson & Weitzen LLP, Boston
- Nicole J. Belbin, Attorney at Law, Springfield
- Shahria H. Boston, Shahria H. Boston, Attorney at Law, Stoughton (Lawyer Referral Service Committee chair)
- Kyle E. Cullen, Attorney at Law, Boston
- Frederick J. Ding, Desmarais LLP, New York
- Bruce W. Edmands, Attorney at Law (ret.) Waban (Solo/Small Firm Law Practice Management Section Council member)
- Richard S. Fagone, Richard S. Fagone & Associates, Stoughton
- Michelle E. Harris, Morgan & Murphy LLP, New Bedford (Solo/Small Firm Law Practice Management Section Council member)
- Philip M. Howe, Philp M. Howe Attorney at Law, Boston
- Paul J. Klehm, Krasnoo, Klehm & Falkner LLP, Andover
- Shlomo (Sam) Lambroza, Law Office of Sam Lambroza, Boston
- Shylah N. Maloney, Barton Gilman LLP, Boston
- Matthew R. Manuszak, Coughlin Betke LLP, Boston
- John G. Mateus, Law Offices of John G. Mateus, Esq., Woburn
- Peter D. McDermott, Law Office of Peter D. McDermott, Hopkinton (Lawyer Referral Service Committee member)
- Peter M. Merrigan, Sweeney Merrigaw Law, Boston (Solo/Small Firm Law Practice Management Section Council member)
- Soraya Sadeghi, Soraya Law PC, Boston (Lawyer Referral Service Committee member)
- Samuel A. Segal, Law Offices of Samuel A. Segal, Boston (Lawyer Referral Service Committee member)
- Gail F. Sullivan, Law Offices of Attorney Gail F. Sullivan, Lancaster (Solo/Small Firm Law Practice Management Section Council member)
- J. Daniel Silverman, Attorney at Law, Wakefield
- Michael R. St. Louis, Law Office of Michael St. Louis, New Hampshire
Interested in volunteering?
Dial-A-Lawyer offers a terrific opportunity for attorneys looking for a pro bono activity that fits well with their busy schedules and can be done from their own home or office. If you are interested in volunteering for an upcoming Dial-A-Lawyer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers will be provided with a link, username, password, detailed instructions and updated resources before each monthly program.