The Massachusetts Bar Association held its most recent Dial-A-Lawyer program on Wednesday, Dec. 7, sponsored by the Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) Committee. Eighteen attorneys, including six members of the LRS Committee, volunteered to answer questions on a night when Dial-A-Lawyer received 183 calls.
The MBA has sponsored a monthly Dial-A-Lawyer program as a public service since March 1991, with volunteer attorneys typically answering callers’ legal questions from a phone bank at the MBA’s Boston office. Through the implementation of new technology in May 2020, the MBA has been able to continue offering this public service virtually during the pandemic at a time when many residents have critical legal questions related to their health, homes and employment. Moving to a remote-only platform has also made it easier for attorney volunteers to take part since they no longer have to travel to the MBA’s office and can take calls anonymously right from their own home or office computers.
Thank you to the following members who donated their time and expertise to the Dec. 7 Dial-A-Lawyer program:
- Madison F. Bader, Lawson & Weitzen LLP, Boston
- Nicole J. Belbin, Attorney at Law, Springfield
- Shahria H. Boston-King, Attorney at Law, Stoughton (LRS Committee member)
- Widmaier M. Charles, Sugarman, Rogers, Barshak & Cohen PC Boston
- Frederick J. Ding, Desmarais LLP, New York, New York
- Stephen M. Fiore, Fuster and Eldrige LLP. Woburn
- Philip M. Howe, Attorney at Law, Boston
- Claude B. Lavallee, Law Office of Claude B. Lavallee, Lexington (LRS Committee member)
- Hon. Bonnie H. MacLeod (ret.), JAMS, Boston (LRS Committee member)
- Shylah N. Maloney, Barton Gilman LLP, Boston
- John G. Mateus, Law Offices of John G. Mateus, Woburn
- Peter D. McDermott, Law Office of Peter D. McDermott, Hopkinton (LRS Committee member)
- Jessica E. Murphy, Mirick, O'Connell, DeMallie & Lougee, Westborough
- Joseph A. Nett, Brand & Tapply LLC, Wellesley (LRS Committee member)
- Samuel A. Segal, Law Offices of Samuel A. Segal, Boston (LRS Committee member)
- Michael R. St. Louis, Law Office of Michael St. Louis, Manchester, New Hampshire
- Jonathan Wynne, Law Offices of Samuel A. Segal, Boston
- Christopher J. Yagoobian, Adler Pollock & Sheehan PC, Providence, Rhode Island
Interested in volunteering?
Dial-A-Lawyer offers a terrific opportunity for attorneys looking for a pro bono activity that fits well with their busy schedules and can be done from their own home or office. If you are interested in volunteering for an upcoming Dial-A-Lawyer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteers will be provided with a link, username, password, detailed instructions and updated resources before each monthly program.