- “Massachusetts district court filings have dropped over 20 years - why?" MetroWest Daily News (Aug. 6). MBA Executive Management Board member Peter T. Elikann and MBA Chief Legal Counsel and Chief Operating Officer Martin W. Healy were quoted in a story about the steadily declining number of Massachusetts District Court filings over the last 20 years. The article was also published statewide.
- “Securities broker arbitration gets SLAPP protection,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Aug. 6). MBA member David A. Kluft was quoted about a Superior Court judge’s decision (Dever v. Ward, et al.), which found that the state’s “anti-SLAPP” law applied to bar tort claims arising from a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority arbitration proceeding.
- “Boston firm disqualified in patent infringement case,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Aug. 6). MBA member Thomas E. Peisch was quoted about a Boston intellectual property firm disqualified from representing the plaintiff in a patent dispute after terminating the defendant as a client over a conflict of interest.
- “Carey: Trial Court leaders are working hard to support judges,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Aug. 6). Hon. Paula M. Carey, chief justice of the Massachusetts Trial Court, wrote a letter to the editor underscoring the Trial Court’s commitment to defending individual judges from unwarranted criticism, and to educating the public about sentencing decisions.
- “Alimony and the TCJA: a mediator’s view,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Aug. 6). MBA member William M. Levine wrote an opinion column in which he offered a mediator’s perspective on a previous article titled “Alimony and the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: a common misconception.”
In Other News
Articles, blogs and other news recently shared on the Massachusetts Bar Association's social media sites.
"When it comes to setting bail, judges can’t predict the future — or ignore the law," The Boston Globe (Aug. 7), via @BostonGlobe.
"Chasing bigger rivals, a midsize Boston law firm raises pay," Boston Business Journal (Aug. 3), via @bosbizgregryan.