Top: 2016-17 Leadership Academy fellows and mentors.
Bottom: Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants.
Photos by Jeff Thiebauth.
The Massachusetts Bar Association hosted a graduation ceremony
for its 2016-17 Leadership Academy Class on June 20 at the John
The 21 graduating Leadership Academy fellows were selected to
participate in the inaugural year of the program because of their
demonstrated commitment to community and bar involvement.
Throughout the year, the fellows gained insights from successful
leaders in the legal and business communities, judges, and elected
officials through programming focused on how to become
compassionate, open-minded and thoughtful leaders. They also
participated in training sessions on public speaking and how to run
"You've all been chosen, and there are important things to do,"
said Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants. "There is
no better time to be a young leader of the bar … now we need you
more than ever."
The 2016-17 graduating fellows included:
- Jesse Adams, Law Office of Jesse Adams (Northampton)
- Adrian Angus, Committee for Public Counsel Services
- Saraa Basaria, Gordon & Rees LLP (Boston)
- Ida R. Candreva, Law Office of R. Carabetta (Revere)
- Melissa Conner, Conner Law Offices (Charlestown)
- Emmanuel Dockter, Baum & Dockter (Quincy)
- Talia Gee, Sullivan, Hayes & Quinn (Springfield)
- Katherine Guarino, Locke Lord LLP (Boston)
- Sara Horatius, Roxbury Community College (Boston)
- Jane A. Horne, Peabody & Arnold LLP (Boston)
- Sakib Khan, Kenney & Sams PC (Southborough)
- Brigid Mitchell, Law Office of Denise Squillante (Fall
- Marc Moccia, Kazarosian Costello LLP (Haverhill)
- Michael Molloy, Marcotte Law Firm (Lowell)
- Michael Rossi, Conn Kavanaugh Rosenthal Peisch Ford LLP
- Victoria Santoro, Meehan, Boyle, Black & Bogdanow PC
- Lauren N. Schaal, Community Legal Aid (Worcester) and the 2016
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. Scholarship Winner
- Samuel A. Segal, Law Offices of Samuel A. Segal (Boston)
- Courtney Shea Winters, Peabody & Arnold LLP (Boston)
- Meghan Slack, Law Office of Meghan Slack (Arlington)
- Damian Turco, Turco Legal PC (Newburyport)
The MBA's Leadership Academy, co-chaired by MBA President
Jeffrey N. Catalano and MBA Treasurer Christopher A. Kenney, is
ideally suited for individuals who want to give back to society in
important ways, such as becoming members of a board of directors or
creating new pro bono programs. The deadline
to apply to the 2017-18 class is June 30.