Top: MBA members answer callers' questions; Bottom: MBA volunteer attorney Diana Velez Harris talks about the Western Mass. Dial-A-Lawyer program on the MassAppeal TV show in Springfield.
Residents of Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties
had their legal questions answered by local volunteer attorneys
from the Massachusetts Bar Association at the semiannual Western
Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer call-in program on October 26, hosted
at Western New England University School of Law.
The calls featured legal questions on a wide range of topics,
including real estate law, consumer law, family law, employment
law, tax law and elder law. The legal advice was provided at no
charge as a public service of the MBA.
"Many of the calls are from members of the community who are
over the age of 60, and a lot of times they are alone and don't
have family members that can help them," said Dial-A-Lawyer
volunteer attorney Lan Kantany. "A lot of times we answer a
question that's really important to them."
Started in 1994, the MBA's Western Massachusetts Dial-A-Lawyer
program is in its 22nd year.
The program is co-sponsored by Western New England University
School of Law, The Republican, El Pueblo
Latino, the Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys
and the Hispanic National Bar Association.
The MBA thanks the following members for donating their time and
expertise to this important public service effort:
- Michelle Bugbee, Eastman Chemical Company, Springfield
- Corey M. Carvalho, University of Massachusetts Legal Services,
- Mark D. Cress, Bulkley, Richardson & Gelinas LLP,
- Lan Kantany, Connor, Morneau & Olin, LLP, Springfield
- Susan A. McCoy, Cooley Shrair, Springfield
- Amy J. Megliola, Siddall & Siddall, P.C., Springfield
- Keith A. Minoff, Keith A. Minoff Attorney at Law,
- Jeffrey S. Morneau, Connor, Morneau & Olin, LLP,
- Richard T. O'Connor, Law Office of Richard T. O'Connor,
- Thomas O'Connor, Jr., Thomas D. O'Connor, Jr., Attorney at Law,
- David W. Ostrander, Ostrander Law Office, Northampton
- Christopher D. Reavey, Franklin/Hampshire Juvenile Court,
- Daniel M. Rothschild, Bulkley Richardson, Springfield
- Kelli Ryan DiLisio, Franklin/Hampshire Juvenile Court,
- Diana Velez Harris, Marien & Hodge, Springfield