Fairness for All: Increase Funding for Courts and Legal Aid
Funding for Massachusetts courts
and civil legal aid programs is not just a lawyer issue. It's a
Courts keep our communities safe and our businesses running,
touching 42,000 visitors each day in the commonwealth. And legal
aid provides a vital lifeline and access to justice to the most
vulnerable among us: victims of domestic violence, children, the
elderly and infirmed, the homeless and others who are often lost
without free legal representation.
Help us urge state legislators to fully fund our courts and
legal aid programs in the Fiscal Year 2015 budget.
Why do we need court funding?
1. 42,000 people use Massachusetts courts each day.
2. The Trial Court is seeking maintenance funding of $615 million
- that's just 1.6% of the governor's proposed $36.4 billion for the
commonwealth.Court funding impacts public hours and staffing
3. Courts not only resolve disputes, they keep our communities
safe and our businesses running.
Why do we need funding for legal aid?
1. 974,277 individuals in Massachusetts are eligible for civil
legal aid according to the Census Bureau.
2. The Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) needs $17
million for civil legal aid in FY15.
3. MLAC grants to legal aid programs have been cut 51% since
4. More than 50% of people who seek legal aid are turned away due
to a lack of resources.
12 for 12: Join
Under our "12 for 12" program, created by Massachusetts Bar
Association President Douglas K. Sheff, we are asking 12,000
lawyers across the commonwealth to ask 12 of their clients to call
or email their legislators and voice their support for increased
funding for our courts and legal aid programs.
Whether you are a lawyer, a client or an interested member of
the public, join us and speak up on behalf of fairness by calling
for increased funding for the courts and our legal aid
We'll provide the resources. Together, we'll speak with one
- Are you a lawyer interested in reaching out to your clients? Click here for sample language.
- Are you a Massachusetts resident who wants to join in the call
for court/legal aid funding? Click here for sample language.