Professionalism Course FAQs
1. What is the Practicing with
The Supreme Judicial Court's Standing Advisory Committee on
Professionalism is charged with implementing Rule 3:16. Effective September 1, 2013, this
rule mandates that all newly admitted Massachusetts attorneys
complete within 18 months of their date of admission a one-day
Practicing with Professionalism course in order to maintain their
good standing at the bar.
The MBA is an Approved Provider of the Practicing with
2. Am I required to take this
All persons newly licensed to practice law in Massachusetts on
or after September 1, 2013, are required to complete the one-day
Practicing with Professionalism course.
3. How do I find my original
All licensed attorneys in Massachusetts can check the date of
their admission to the bar at the Board of Bar
4. Can I take any one of the
Approved Provider's courses?
YES, you may choose any one of the four Approved
5. How do I register for the
Registering for the MBA's Practicing with Professionalism course
is easy. Simply click here to register for any one of our six
courses offered statewide throughout 2014. NO walk-ins will
6. The course registration is
$35. What is included in this fee?
- Program materials associated with the PWP course.
- FREE one year, full membership to the MBA. (Valid through
August 31, 2014).
- Breakfast, lunch and a special networking reception.
- Recordkeeping and attendance reports to the Board of Bar
Overseers will be handled by the Massachusetts Bar
7. Must I attend in
YES. The SJC mandates that all Practicing with Professionalism
course attendees appear in person for the class. Please bring a
photo ID and your bar card in order to be admitted and to receive
your certificate of attendance.
8. How does the BBO know I've
attended and completed the course?
The MBA will handle all your reporting requirements with the
Board of Bar Overseers! Once you successfully complete our
Practicing with Professionalism course, we do the rest.